Activist, Terrorist (9-May-1800 2-Dec-1859)
SUBJECT OF BOOKS
Laurence Greene. The Raid: A Biography of Harpers Ferry. Henry Holt. 1953.
Tony Horwitz. Midnight Rising: John Brown and the Raid That Sparked the Civil War. Macmillan. 2011. 384pp.
David Karsner. John Brown: Terrible "Saint". Dodd, Mead & Company. 1934. 340pp.
Truman Nelson. The Old Man: John Brown at Harper's Ferry. New York: Holt, Rinehart, Winston. 1973. 395pp.
Stephen B. Oates. To Purge This Land with Blood: A Biography of John Brown. New York: Harper & Row. 1970. 434pp.
Peggy A. Russo; Paul Finkelman (editors). Terrible Swift Sword: The Legacy of John Brown. Ohio University Press. 2005. 228pp.
Gregory Toledo. The Hanging of Old Brown: A Story of Slaves, Statesmen, and Redemption. Greenwood Publishing Group. 2002. 276pp.
Oswald Garrison Villard. John Brown, 1800-1859: A Biography Fifty Years After. New York: Houghton Mifflin. 1910. 738pp.
Hill Peebles Wilson. John Brown, Soldier of Fortune: A Critique. H. P. Wilson. 1913. 450pp.
Below are references indicating presence of this name in another database or other
reference material. Most of the sources listed are encyclopedic in nature but might be
limited to a specific field, such as musicians or film directors. A lack of listings
here does not indicate unimportance -- we are nowhere near finished with this portion
of the project -- though if many are shown it does indicate a wide recognition
of this individual.
- NNDB [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [link]
- Wikipedia [link]
- Library of Congress Name Authority [link]
- Encyclopedia of American Biography (p.139)
- Chambers Biographical Dictionary, 5th Edition (p.213)
- Webster's American Biographies (p.143)
- The Oxford Companion to American Literature, 5th Edition (p.103)
- Benet's Readers Encyclopedia, 4th Edition (p.140)
- Cambridge Dictionary of American Biography (p.93)
- Hutchinson Paperback Dictionary of Biography (p.74)
- Concise Biographical Dictionary of Famous Men and Women (p.70)
- Concise Dictionary of American Biography (p.113)
- Legends in Their Own Time (p.35)
Do you know something we don't?
Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile
Copyright ©2019 Soylent Communications