|John James Audubon|
Naturalist, Artist (26-Apr-1785 27-Jan-1851)
SUBJECT OF BOOKS
Alexander B. Adams. John James Audubon: A Biography. New York: Putnam. 1966. 510pp.
Stanley Clisby Arthur. Audubon: An Intimate Life of the American Woodman. New Orleans: Harmanson. 1937. 517pp.
Maria R. Audubon. Audubon and His Journals. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons. 1887. (2 vols.) 532pp. + 554pp.
Robert Buchanan (editor). The Life and Adventures of John James Audubon the Naturalist. New York: E. P. Dutton. 1868. 366pp. Based on the same journals also used by Maria R. Audubon, but with considerably less skill.
John Chancellor. Audubon: The Man Who Loved Nature. New York: Viking Press. 1978. 224pp.
Alice Ford. John James Audubon. Norman, OK: University of Oklahoma Press. 1964. 488pp.
Francis Herbert Herrick. Audubon the Naturalist: A History of His Life and Time. New York: Appleton/Century. 1917. 451pp. + 500pp. Also a second edition in 1938.
Richard Rhodes. John James Audubon: The Making of an American. New York: Alfred A. Knopf. 2004.
Constance Rourke. Audubon. New York: Harcourt, Brace. 1936. 342pp.
William Souder. Under a Wild Sky: John James Audubon and the Making of The Birds of America. New York: North Point Press. 2004. 367pp.
Shirley Streshinsky. Audubon: Life and Art in the American Wilderness. New York, NY: Villard Books. 1993. 407pp.
Below are references indicating presence of this name in another database or other
reference material. Most of the sources listed are encyclopedic in nature but might be
limited to a specific field, such as musicians or film directors. A lack of listings
here does not indicate unimportance -- we are nowhere near finished with this portion
of the project -- though if many are shown it does indicate a wide recognition
of this individual.
- NNDB [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [link]
- Wikipedia [link]
- Library of Congress Name Authority [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica 11th Edition
- Encyclopedia of American Biography (p.46)
- Random House Dictionary of World Biography (p.26)
- Chambers Biographical Dictionary, 5th Edition (p.77)
- Webster's American Biographies (p.45)
- Hutchinson Paperback Dictionary of Biography (p.28)
- American Authors 1600-1900 (p.40)
- The Oxford Companion to American Literature, 5th Edition (p.44)
- Benet's Readers Encyclopedia, 4th Edition (p.63)
- Cambridge Dictionary of American Biography (p.26)
- Asimov's Biographical Encyclopedia of Science and Technology (p.192)
- Hutchinson Dictionary of Scientific Biography (p.29)
- Makers of 19th Century Culture: 1800-1914 (p.13)
- Concise Biographical Dictionary of Famous Men and Women (p.30)
- Concise Dictionary of American Biography (p.34)
- A Biographical Dictionary of Scientists (p.22)
- Atlantic: Brief Lives: A Biographical Companion to the Arts (p.22)
- Hutchinson Dictionary of Scientists (p.22)
- Legends in Their Own Time (p.13)
- The World Almanac Biographical Dictionary (p.61)
Do you know something we don't?
Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile
Copyright ©2019 Soylent Communications