Scholar, Politician (16-Dec-1584 30-Nov-1654)
SUBJECT OF BOOKS
John Aikin. The Lives of John Selden, Esq., and Archbishop Usher: With Notices of the Principal English Men of Letters with Whom They Were Connected. London: Mathews and Leigh. 1812. 430pp.
Reid Barbour. John Selden: Measures of the Holy Commonwealth in Seventeenth-Century England. University of Toronto Press. 2003. 417pp.
David Sandler Berkowitz. John Selden's Formative Years: Politics and Society in Early Seventeenth-Century England. Associated University Presses. 1988. 370pp.
Paul Christianson. Discourse on History, Law, and Governance in the Public Career of John Selden, 1610-1635. University of Toronto Press. 1996. 451pp.
George W. Johnson. Memoirs of John Selden and Notices of the Political Contest During His Time. London: Orr and Smith. 1835. 374pp.
Jason P. Rosenblatt. Renaissance England's Chief Rabbi: John Selden. Oxford University Press. 2006. 314pp.
Robert Waters. John Selden and His Table-Talk. New York: Eaton & Mains. 1899. 251pp.
Below are references indicating presence of this name in another database or other
reference material. Most of the sources listed are encyclopedic in nature but might be
limited to a specific field, such as musicians or film directors. A lack of listings
here does not indicate unimportance -- we are nowhere near finished with this portion
of the project -- though if many are shown it does indicate a wide recognition
of this individual.
- NNDB [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [link]
- Wikipedia [link]
- Library of Congress Name Authority [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica 11th Edition
- Chambers Biographical Dictionary, 5th Edition (p.1324)
- A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature (p.332)
- British Authors Before 1800 (p.454)
- Benet's Readers Encyclopedia, 4th Edition (p.928)
- Hutchinson Paperback Dictionary of Biography (p.447)
- Who's Who in Europe, 1450-1750 (p.268)
- The Penguin Companion to English Literature (p.466)
Do you know something we don't?
Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile
Copyright ©2019 Soylent Communications