Author (16-Dec-1775 18-Jul-1817)
SUBJECT OF BOOKS
James Edward Austen-Leigh. A Memoir of Jane Austen, by Her Nephew. London: Richard Bentley. 1870. 236pp.
William Austen-Leigh; Richard Arthur Austen-Leigh (editors). Jane Austen: Her Life and Letters: A Family Record. London: Smith, Elder & Co.. 1913. 437pp.
Frank W. Bradbrook. Jane Austen and Her Predecessors. Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press. 1966. 179pp.
David Cecil. A Portrait of Jane Austen. London: Constable. 1978. 208pp.
R. W. Chapman. Jane Austen: Facts & Problems. Oxford, England: Oxford University Press. 1948. 232pp.
Irene Collins. Jane Austen and the Clergy. London: The Hambledon Press. 1994. 242pp.
Wendy A. Craik. Jane Austen: The Six Novels. London: Methuen. 1965. 210pp.
Christopher Gillie. A Preface to Jane Austen. London: Longman. 1974. 171pp.
Audrey Hawkridge. Jane and Her Gentlemen: Jane Austen and the Men in Her Life and Novels. London: Peter Owen Publishers. 2000. 208pp.
Maggiel Lane. Jane Austen's World: The Life and Times of England's Most Popular Author. UK: Carlton. 1996.
Mary Lascelles. Jane Austen and Her Art. Oxford, England: Oxford University Press. 1939. 225pp.
Marvin Mudrick. Jane Austen: Irony as Defense and Discovery. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. 1952. 267pp.
Jo Alyson Parker. The Author's Inheritance: Henry Fielding, Jane Austen, and the Establishment of the Novel. Northern Illinois University Press. 1998. 238pp.
Mary Poovey. The Proper Lady and the Woman Writer: Ideology as Style in the Works of Mary Wollstonecraft, Mary Shelley, and Jane Austen. University of Chicago Press. 1984. 287pp.
Brian C. Southam (editor). Jane Austen: The Critical Heritage. London: Routledge. 1968.
Janis P. Stout. Strategies of Reticence: Silence and Meaning in the Works of Jane Austen, Willa Cather, Katherine Anne Porter, and Joan Didion. University of Virginia Press. 1994. 228pp.
Andrew H. Wright. Jane Austen's Novels: A Study in Structure. London: Chatto & Windus. 1953. 210pp.
Below are references indicating presence of this name in another database or other
reference material. Most of the sources listed are encyclopedic in nature but might be
limited to a specific field, such as musicians or film directors. A lack of listings
here does not indicate unimportance -- we are nowhere near finished with this portion
of the project -- though if many are shown it does indicate a wide recognition
of this individual.
- NNDB [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [link]
- Internet Movie Database [link]
- Wikipedia [link]
- Library of Congress Name Authority [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica 11th Edition
- Random House Dictionary of World Biography (p.27)
- Chambers Biographical Dictionary, 5th Edition (p.81)
- New York Public Library Literature Companion (p.15)
- Hutchinson Paperback Dictionary of Biography (p.30)
- A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature (p.15)
- Benet's Readers Encyclopedia, 4th Edition (p.65)
- International Dictionary of Women's Biography (p.30)
- Makers of 19th Century Culture: 1800-1914 (p.14)
- Atlantic: Brief Lives: A Biographical Companion to the Arts (pp.23-25)
- The Feminist Companion to Literature in English (p.40)
- The Penguin Companion to English Literature (p.27)
- Northeastern Dictionary of Women's Biography (p.36)
- Legends in Their Own Time (p.13)
- The World Almanac Biographical Dictionary (p.17)
Do you know something we don't?
Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile
Copyright ©2019 Soylent Communications