Activist (6-Sep-1860 21-May-1935)
SUBJECT OF BOOKS
Jane Addams. Twenty Years at Hull-House: With Autobiographical Notes. New York: Macmillan. 1910. 462pp.
Victoria Bissell Brown. The Education of Jane Addams. University of Pennsylvania Press. 2003. 408pp.
Allen F. Davis. American Heroine: The Life and Legend of Jane Addams. Oxford University Press. 1973. 339pp.
Mary J. Deegan. Jane Addams and the Men of the Chicago School, 1892-1918. Transaction Publishers. 1988. 352pp.
Gioia Diliberto. A Useful Woman: The Early Life of Jane Addams. New York: Scribner's. 1999. 318pp.
Jean Bethke Elshtain. Jane Addams and the Dream of American Democracy: A Life. Basic Books. 2002. 400pp.
John C. Farrell. Beloved Lady: A History of Jane Addams' Ideas on Reform and Peace. Johns Hopkins Press. 1967. 272pp.
Marshall William Fishwick. Jane Addams. Silver Burdett Co.. 1968. 240pp.
Maurice Hamington. Embodied Care: Jane Addams, Maurice Merleau-Ponty, and Feminist Ethics. University of Illinois Press. 2004. 181pp.
Katherine Joslin. Jane Addams: A Writer's Life. University of Illinois Press. 2004. 306pp.
Louise W. Knight. Citizen: Jane Addams and the Struggle for Democracy. University of Chicago Press. 2005. 528pp.
Christopher Lasch. The Social Thought of Jane Addams. New York: Bobbs-Merrill. 1965. 266pp.
Daniel Levine. Jane Addams and the Liberal Tradition. State Historical Society of Wisconsin. 1971. 277pp.
James Weber Linn. Jane Addams: A Biography. Greenwood Press. 1968. 457pp.
Cornelia Meigs. Jane Addams, Pioneer for Social Justice: A Biography. Boston: Little, Brown. 1970. 274pp.
Violet Oakley. Cathedral of Compassion: Dramatic Outline of The Life of Jane Addams 1860-1935. Philadelphia: Lyon and Armor. 1955. 104pp.
Violet Oakley. Cathedral of Compassion: Dramatic Outline of the Life of Jane Addams, 1860-1935. Women's International League for Peace and Freedom. 1955. 104pp.
Margaret Tims. Jane Addams of Hull House, 1860-1935: A Centenary Study. Macmillan. 1961. 166pp.
Winifred Esther Wise. Jane Addams of Hull-House: A Biography. Harcourt, Brace and Company. 1935. 255pp.
Below are references indicating presence of this name in another database or other
reference material. Most of the sources listed are encyclopedic in nature but might be
limited to a specific field, such as musicians or film directors. A lack of listings
here does not indicate unimportance -- we are nowhere near finished with this portion
of the project -- though if many are shown it does indicate a wide recognition
of this individual.
- NNDB [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [link]
- Internet Movie Database [link]
- Public Information Research Namebase [link]
- Wikipedia [link]
- Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of American Writers (p.8)
- Encyclopedia of American Biography (p.18)
- Random House Dictionary of World Biography (p.5)
- Chambers Biographical Dictionary, 5th Edition (p.11)
- Webster's American Biographies (p.13)
- Hutchinson Paperback Dictionary of Biography (p.4)
- The Oxford Companion to American Literature, 5th Edition (p.9)
- Benet's Readers Encyclopedia, 4th Edition (p.9)
- Cambridge Dictionary of American Biography (p.6)
- The Hutchinson Dictionary of Ideas (p.7)
- International Dictionary of Women's Biography (p.3)
- Concise Dictionary of American Biography (p.9)
- Twentieth Century Dictionary of Christian Biography (p.16)
- Almanac of American Women in the 20th Century (p.5)
- Who's Who in Modern History, 1860-1980 (p.19)
- St. James Encyclopedia of Popular Culture (vol.1, p.17)
- Biographical Dictionary of the Left (vol.4, pp.227-31)
- Northeastern Dictionary of Women's Biography (p.5)
- Oxford Companion to Women's Writing in the United States (p.10)
- Legends in Their Own Time (p.3)
Do you know something we don't?
Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile
Copyright ©2019 Soylent Communications