|D. W. Griffith|
Film Director (22-Jan-1875 21-Jul-1948)
SUBJECT OF BOOKS
Cooper C. Graham; Steven Higgins; Elaine Mancini; Joao Luiz Vieira. D. W. Griffith and the Biograph Company. Metuchen, NJ: Scarecrow Press. 1985.
Thomas Gunning. D. W. Griffith and the Rise of the Narrative Film. Urbana, IL: University of Illinois Press. 1991.
Robert M. Henderson. D. W. Griffith: His Life & Work. Oxford University Press. 1972. 326pp.
David Meyer. Stagestruck Filmmaker: D. W. Griffith and the American Theatre. University of Iowa Press. 2009. 320pp.
Richard Schickel. D. W. Griffith: An American Life. New York: Simon & Schuster. 1984.
Martin Williams. Griffith: First Artist of the Movies. New York: Oxford University Press. 1980.
Below are references indicating presence of this name in another database or other
reference material. Most of the sources listed are encyclopedic in nature but might be
limited to a specific field, such as musicians or film directors. A lack of listings
here does not indicate unimportance -- we are nowhere near finished with this portion
of the project -- though if many are shown it does indicate a wide recognition
of this individual.
- NNDB [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [link]
- Internet Movie Database [link]
- Public Information Research Namebase [link]
- Wikipedia [link]
- The Film Encyclopedia, 5th Edition (p.580)
- Cambridge Dictionary of American Biography (p.294)
- Encyclopedia of American Biography (p.476)
- 20th Century Culture: A Biographical Companion (p.289)
- International Dictionary of 20th Century Biography (p.274)
- Chambers Biographical Dictionary, 5th Edition (p.630)
- Webster's American Biographies (p.431)
- Penguin Companion to the Arts in the Twentieth Century (p.245)
- Cassell Companion to Cinema (p.250)
- The Oxford Companion to American Literature, 5th Edition (p.301)
- Chambers Film and TV Handbook (p.139)
- The Encyclopedia of Film (pp.235-37)
- The Encyclopedia of Hollywood (p.181)
- The New Biographical Dictionary of Film (p.360)
- Benet's Readers Encyclopedia, 4th Edition (p.429)
- The Hollywood.com Guide to Film Directors (pp.337-40)
- The St. James Encyclopedia of Film Directors (pp.202-07)
- Hutchinson Paperback Dictionary of Biography (p.214)
- St. James Encyclopedia of Popular Culture (vol.2, pp.313-15)
- The World Almanac Biographical Dictionary (p.337)
Do you know something we don't?
Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile
Copyright ©2019 Soylent Communications