|J. Edgar Hoover|
Government (1-Jan-1895 2-May-1972)
SUBJECT OF BOOKS
Kenneth D. Ackerman. Young J. Edgar: Hoover, the Red Scare, and the Assault on Civil Liberties. New York: Carroll & Graf. 2007. 472pp.
Ovid Demaris. The Director: An Oral Biography of J. Edgar Hoover. Harper's Magazine Press. 1975.
Ralph DeToledano. J. Edgar Hoover: The Man in His Time. Arlington House. 1973.
Curt Gentry. J. Edgar Hoover: The Man and the Secrets. New York: W. W. Norton. 1991. 848pp.
Richard Hack. Puppetmaster: The Secret Life of J. Edgar Hoover. New Millennium. 2004. 448pp.
Burton Hersh. Bobby and J. Edgar: The Historic Face-off Between the Kennedys and J. Edgar Hoover That Transformed America. New York: Carroll & Graf. 2007. 612pp.
David Alan Johnson. Betrayal: The True Story of J. Edgar Hoover and the Nazi Saboteurs Captured During WWII. New York: Hippocrene Books. 2000. 288pp.
R. Andrew Kiel. J. Edgar Hoover: The Father of the Cold War. University Press of America. 2000.
Hank Messick. John Edgar Hoover. New York: David McKay. 1972.
Kenneth O'Reilly. Hoover and the Un-Americans. Temple University Press. 1983.
Richard Gid Powers. Secrecy and Power: The Life of J. Edgar Hoover. New York: Free Press. 1987. 624pp.
Anthony Summers. Official and Confidential: The Secret Life of J. Edgar Hoover. Putnam's. 1993. 528pp.
Athan Theoharis; John Stuart Cox. The Boss: J. Edgar Hoover and the Great American Inquisition. Philadelphia, PA: Temple University Press. 1988. 489pp.
William W. Turner. Hoover's FBI: The Men and the Myth. Sherbourne Press. 1970.
Neil J. Welch; David W. Marston. Inside Hoover's FBI: The Top Field Chief Reports. Doubleday. 1984.
Below are references indicating presence of this name in another database or other
reference material. Most of the sources listed are encyclopedic in nature but might be
limited to a specific field, such as musicians or film directors. A lack of listings
here does not indicate unimportance -- we are nowhere near finished with this portion
of the project -- though if many are shown it does indicate a wide recognition
of this individual.
- NNDB [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [link]
- Internet Movie Database [link]
- Public Information Research Namebase [link]
- Wikipedia [link]
- Library of Congress Name Authority [link]
- Social Security Death Master File (577-60-1114)
- Encyclopedia of American Biography (p.560)
- International Dictionary of 20th Century Biography (p.320)
- Chambers Biographical Dictionary, 5th Edition (p.731)
- Webster's American Biographies (p.505)
- Cambridge Dictionary of American Biography (p.346)
- Hutchinson Paperback Dictionary of Biography (p.243)
- Who's Who in Modern History, 1860-1980 (p.162)
- St. James Encyclopedia of Popular Culture (vol.2, p.443)
- The Biographical Dictionary of World War II (p.234)
- The World Almanac Biographical Dictionary (p.175)
Do you know something we don't?
Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile
Copyright ©2019 Soylent Communications