Lexicographer, Author (18-Sep-1709 13-Dec-1784)
SUBJECT OF BOOKS
Author: W. Jackson Bate. Samuel Johnson. New York and London: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich. 1975. 646pp.
J. C. D. Clark. Samuel Johnson: Literature, Religion and English Cultural Politics from the Restoration to Romanticism. Cambridge University Press. 1994. 270pp.
Norma Clarke. Dr. Johnson's Women. London & New York: Hambledon and London. 2000.
Greg Clingham. Johnson, Writing, and Memory. Cambridge University Press. 2002. 222pp.
Robert DeMaria, Jr.. The Life of Samuel Johnson: A Critical Biography. Blackwell. 1993. 356pp.
Paul Fussell. Samuel Johnson: The Life of Writing. New York: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich. 1971. 303pp.
Donald Greene. Samuel Johnson. Twayne. 1970. 245pp.
Richard Holmes. Dr. Johnson and Mr. Savage: A Biographical Mystery. New York: Pantheon Books. 1994.
Alvin B. Kernan. Samuel Johnson and the Impact of Print. Princeton University Press. 1989. 375pp.
Frank L. Lucas. The Search for Good Sense: Four Eighteenth-Century Characters: Johnson, Chesterfield, Boswell, Goldsmith. London: Cassell. 1958.
Hesketh Pearson. Johnson and Boswell: The Story of Their Lives. London: Heinemann. 1958. 390pp.
Peter Quennell. Samuel Johnson: His Friends and Enemies. New York: American Heritage Press. 1973.
Philip Smallwood. Johnson's Critical Presence: Image, History, Judgement. Ashgate Publishing. 2004. 172pp.
Neil Tomkinson. The Christian Faith and Practice of Samuel Johnson, Thomas de Quincey and Thomas Love Peacock. Lewiston, NY: Edwin Mellen Press. 1992. 260pp.
Below are references indicating presence of this name in another database or other
reference material. Most of the sources listed are encyclopedic in nature but might be
limited to a specific field, such as musicians or film directors. A lack of listings
here does not indicate unimportance -- we are nowhere near finished with this portion
of the project -- though if many are shown it does indicate a wide recognition
of this individual.
- NNDB [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [link]
- Wikipedia [link]
- Library of Congress Name Authority [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica 11th Edition
- Chambers Biographical Dictionary, 5th Edition (p.790)
- New York Public Library Literature Companion (p.129)
- The Oxford Companion to American Literature, 5th Edition (p.386)
- A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature (p.213)
- British Authors Before 1800 (pp.293-96)
- Benet's Readers Encyclopedia, 4th Edition (p.534)
- Hutchinson Paperback Dictionary of Biography (p.264)
- Concise Biographical Dictionary of Famous Men and Women (p.357)
- Who's Who in Europe, 1450-1750 (p.161)
- The Penguin Companion to English Literature (pp.281-83)
- The Hutchinson Dictionary of Ideas (p.283)
- The World Almanac Biographical Dictionary (p.21)
Do you know something we don't?
Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile
Copyright ©2019 Soylent Communications