Activist (29-Jan-1737 8-Jun-1809)
SUBJECT OF BOOKS
A. J. Ayer. Thomas Paine. University of Chicago Press. 1990. 206pp.
Steven Blakemore. Intertextual War: Edmund Burke and the French Revolution in the Writings of Mary Wollstonecraft, Thomas Paine, and James Mackintosh. Fairleigh Dickinson University Press. 1997. 256pp.
Gregory Claeys. Thomas Paine: Social and Political Thought. Routledge. 1989. 257pp.
Paul Collins. The Trouble with Tom: The Strange Afterlife & Times of Thomas Paine. New York: Bloomsbury. 2005.
Olivia E. Coolidge. Tom Paine, Revolutionary. New York: Scribner. 1969. 213pp.
Samuel Edwards. Rebel! A Biography of Tom Paine. Praeger. 1974.
Eric Foner. Tom Paine and Revolutionary America. Oxford University Press. 1976. 326pp.
Jack Fruchtman, Jr.. Thomas Paine: Apostle of Freedom. New York: Four Walls Eight Windows. 1994.
David F. Hawke. Paine. New York: Harper & Row. 1974. 500pp.
Harvey J. Kaye. Thomas Paine and the Promise of America. Hill and Wang. 2005. 336pp.
John Keane. Tom Paine: A Political Life. London: Bloomsbury Publishing. 1995. 644pp.
Edward Larkin. Thomas Paine and the Literature of Revolution. Cambridge University Press. 2005. 205pp.
Joseph Lewis. Thomas Paine: Author of the Declaration of Independence. New York: Freethought Press Association. 1947. 315pp.
Scott Liell. 46 Pages: Thomas Paine, Common Sense, and the Turning Point to Independence. Running Press. 2004. 240pp.
Craig Nelson. Thomas Paine: Enlightenment, Revolution, and the Birth of Modern Nations. Viking Press. 2006. 396pp.
Hesketh Pearson. Tom Paine, Friend of Mankind: A Biography. Hamish Hamilton. 1937. 318pp.
Ellery Sedgwick. Thomas Paine. Small, Maynard & Company. 1899. 150pp.
David A. Wilson. Tom Paine and William Cobbett: The Transatlantic Connection. McGill-Queen's University Press. 1988. 240pp.
Below are references indicating presence of this name in another database or other
reference material. Most of the sources listed are encyclopedic in nature but might be
limited to a specific field, such as musicians or film directors. A lack of listings
here does not indicate unimportance -- we are nowhere near finished with this portion
of the project -- though if many are shown it does indicate a wide recognition
of this individual.
- NNDB [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [link]
- Wikipedia [link]
- Library of Congress Name Authority [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica 11th Edition
- Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of American Writers
- Encyclopedia of American Biography (p.853)
- Chambers Biographical Dictionary, 5th Edition (p.1118)
- Webster's American Biographies (p.790)
- The Oxford Companion to American Literature, 5th Edition (p.567)
- A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature (p.293)
- American Authors 1600-1900 (pp.589-91)
- Benet's Readers Encyclopedia, 4th Edition (p.770)
- Cambridge Dictionary of American Biography (p.553)
- Hutchinson Paperback Dictionary of Biography (p.383)
- Concise Biographical Dictionary of Famous Men and Women (p.509)
- Concise Dictionary of American Biography (p.760)
- The Penguin Companion to English Literature (p.410)
- The Hutchinson Dictionary of Ideas (p.393)
- The World Almanac Biographical Dictionary (p.97)
Do you know something we don't?
Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile
Copyright ©2014 Soylent Communications