Head of State (30-Oct-1735 4-Jul-1826)
SUBJECT OF BOOKS
John Adams. The Works of John Adams, Second President of the United States: With a Life of the Author, Notes and Illustrations, by His Grandson Charles Francis Adams. Boston: Little, Brown & Co.. 1850-56. (12 vols.)
Catherine Drinker Bowen. John Adams and the American Revolution. Boston: Little, Brown. 1950.
Ralph A. Brown. The Presidency of John Adams. University Press of Kansas. 1975.
L. H. Butterfield (editor). Diary And Autobiography of John Adams. Belknap Press. 1961. (4 vols.) 365pp. + 458pp. + 449pp. + 403pp.
Lester J. Cappon (editor). The Adams-Jefferson Letters: The Complete Correspondence Between Thomas Jefferson and Abigail and John Adams. University of North Carolina Press. 1959. (2 vols.) 282pp.+ 355pp.
Joseph J. Ellis. Passionate Sage: The Character and Legacy of John Adams. New York: Norton. 1993.
John E. Ferling. John Adams: A Life. University of Tennessee Press. 1992. 535pp.
John E. Ferling. John Adams: A Bibliography. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press. 1993. 222pp.
George Gibbs (editor). Memoirs of the Administrations of Washington and John Adams: Edited from the Papers of Oliver Wolcott, Secretary of the Treasury. New York: William Van Norden. 1846. 574pp. + 556pp.
James L. Grant. John Adams: Party of One. New York: Farrar Straus & Giroux. 2005.
Edward Handler. America and Europe in the Political Thought of John Adams. Harvard University Press. 1964. 248pp.
Zoltán Haraszti. John Adams & the Prophets of Progress. Harvard University Press. 1952. 362pp.
John R. Howe. The Changing Political Thought of John Adams. Princeton University Press. 1966.
James H. Hutson. John Adams and the Diplomacy of the American Revolution. University of Kentucky. 1980. 199pp.
David McCullough. John Adams. New York: Simon & Schuster. 2001. 751pp.
Richard Alan Ryerson (editor). John Adams and the Founding of the Republic. Northeastern University Press. 2001. 300pp. Collection of essays.
Page Smith. John Adams. Garden City, NY: Doubleday. 1962. (2 vols.) 599pp. + 1170pp.
C. Bradley Thompson. John Adams and the Spirit of Liberty. University Press of Kansas. 1998. 340pp.
Bernard A. Weisberger. America Afire: Jefferson, Adams, and the Revolutionary Election of 1800. New York: Morrow/Avon. 2000. 345pp.
John Wood. The Suppressed History of the Administration of John Adams. 1846. "Most copies bought up and destroyed by Burr."
Below are references indicating presence of this name in another database or other
reference material. Most of the sources listed are encyclopedic in nature but might be
limited to a specific field, such as musicians or film directors. A lack of listings
here does not indicate unimportance -- we are nowhere near finished with this portion
of the project -- though if many are shown it does indicate a wide recognition
of this individual.
- NNDB [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [link]
- Internet Movie Database [link]
- Wikipedia [link]
- Library of Congress Name Authority [link]
- Congressional Biography [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica 11th Edition
- Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of American Writers (p.6)
- Encyclopedia of American Biography (p.13)
- Random House Dictionary of World Biography (p.4)
- Chambers Biographical Dictionary, 5th Edition (p.10)
- Webster's American Biographies (p.9)
- Hutchinson Paperback Dictionary of Biography (p.4)
- The Oxford Companion to American Literature, 5th Edition (p.7)
- Benet's Readers Encyclopedia, 4th Edition (p.8)
- Cambridge Dictionary of American Biography (p.5)
- Concise Biographical Dictionary of Famous Men and Women (p.4)
- Concise Dictionary of American Biography (p.5)
- Legends in Their Own Time (p.3)
- The World Almanac Biographical Dictionary (p.165)
Do you know something we don't?
Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile
Copyright ©2019 Soylent Communications