Author (4-Dec-1835 18-Jun-1902)
SUBJECT OF BOOKS
G. D. H. Cole. Samuel Butler and The Way of All Flesh. London: Home & Van Thal, Ltd.. 1947. 118pp.
Henry Festing-Jones. Samuel Butler, Author of Erewhon: A Memoir. London: Macmillan. 1919. (2 vols.) 448pp. + 531pp.
P. N. Furbank. Samuel Butler, 1835-1902. Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press. 1948. 113pp.
Stanley B. Harkness. The Career of Samuel Butler, 1835-1902: A Bibliography. London: The Bodley Head. 1955. 154pp.
A. J. Hoppé. A Bibliography of the Writings of Samuel Butler (Author of "Erewhon") and of Writings About Him. London: Bookman's Journal. 1925. 184pp.
Henry F. Jones. Samuel Butler, Author of Erewhon, 1835-1902: A Memoir. London: A. C. Fifield. 1919. (2 vols.) 448pp. + 531pp.
Joseph Jones. Cradle of Erewhon: Samuel Butler in New Zealand. Austin, TX: University of Texas Press. 1959. 224pp.
U. C. Knoepflmacher. Religious Humanism and the Victorian Novel: George Eliot, Walter Pater, and Samuel Butler. Princeton University Press. 1970. 315pp.
Malcolm Muggeridge. The Earnest Atheist: A Study of Samuel Butler. London: Eyre & Spottiswoode. 1936. 226pp.
Ralf Norrman. Wholeness Restored: Love of Symmetry as a Shaping Force in the Writings of Henry James, Kurt Vonnegut, Samuel Butler and Raymond Chandler. Peter Lang. 1998. 283pp.
Clara Gruening Stillman. Samuel Butler: A Mid-Victorian Modern. New York: Viking Press. 1932. 319pp.
Basil Willey. Darwin and Butler: Two Versions of Evolution. London: Chatto & Windus. 1960. 116pp. Samuel Butler, 1835-1902.
Below are references indicating presence of this name in another database or other
reference material. Most of the sources listed are encyclopedic in nature but might be
limited to a specific field, such as musicians or film directors. A lack of listings
here does not indicate unimportance -- we are nowhere near finished with this portion
of the project -- though if many are shown it does indicate a wide recognition
of this individual.
- NNDB [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [link]
- Wikipedia [link]
- Library of Congress Name Authority [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica 11th Edition
- Chambers Biographical Dictionary, 5th Edition (p.238)
- New York Public Library Literature Companion (p.40)
- A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature (p.66)
- Who's Who in Lesbian & Gay Writing (p.32)
- Benet's Readers Encyclopedia, 4th Edition (p.155)
- Hutchinson Paperback Dictionary of Biography (p.82)
- Atlantic: Brief Lives: A Biographical Companion to the Arts (pp.116-19)
- The Penguin Companion to English Literature (p.81)
- Legends in Their Own Time (p.38)
- The World Almanac Biographical Dictionary (p.18)
- Makers of 19th Century Culture: 1800-1914 (p.71)
Do you know something we don't?
Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile
Copyright ©2019 Soylent Communications