Poet (c. 1743 5-Dec-1784)
SUBJECT OF BOOKS
Henry Louis Gates, Jr.. The Trials of Phillis Wheatley: America's First Black Poet and Her Encounters with the Founding Fathers. Basic Civitas Books. 2003. 129pp.
M. A. Richmond (editor). Bid the Vassal Soar: Interpretive Essays on the Life and Poetry of Phillis Wheatley and George Moses Horton. Howard University Press. 1974. 216pp.
William Henry Robinson. Phillis Wheatley: A Bio-Bibliography. Boston: G. K. Hall. 1981.
William Henry Robinson. Phyllis Wheatley and Her Writings. New York: Garland. 1984.
William Henry Robinson (editor). Critical Essays on Phillis Wheatley. Boston: G. K. Hall. 1982. 236pp.
Below are references indicating presence of this name in another database or other
reference material. Most of the sources listed are encyclopedic in nature but might be
limited to a specific field, such as musicians or film directors. A lack of listings
here does not indicate unimportance -- we are nowhere near finished with this portion
of the project -- though if many are shown it does indicate a wide recognition
of this individual.
- NNDB [link]
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [link]
- Wikipedia [link]
- Library of Congress Name Authority [link]
- Chambers Biographical Dictionary, 5th Edition (p.1549)
- Webster's American Biographies (p.1119)
- Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of American Writers (p.427)
- New York Public Library Literature Companion (p.252)
- The Oxford Companion to American Literature, 5th Edition (p.815)
- American Authors 1600-1900 (p.798)
- A Dictionary of British and American Women Writers 1660-1800 (p.321)
- Benet's Readers Encyclopedia, 4th Edition (p.1109)
- 100 Greatest African Americans: A Biographical Encyclopedia (pp.312-14)
- Cambridge Dictionary of American Biography (p.786)
- International Dictionary of Women's Biography (p.495)
- Third World Women's Literatures (pp.321-22)
- Concise Dictionary of American Biography (p.1179)
- The Feminist Companion to Literature in English (p.1155)
- Oxford Companion to Women's Writing in the United States (p.919)
- The World Almanac Biographical Dictionary (p.16)
Do you know something we don't?
Submit a correction or make a comment about this profile
Copyright ©2019 Soylent Communications